April 7, 2008
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse opens for climbing on April 18
The following safety rules apply:
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will open to the public for climbing on
Friday, April 18, and will be open through Columbus Day, Oct. 13.
Climbing fees for the Lighthouse will be $7 per adult, and $3.50 for
children under 12 and senior citizens.
The opening day of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will continue to be a
fee-free day, as it has been in the past, for local community members
to climb the Lighthouse.
The lighthouse climbing fee is authorized through the Recreation Fee
Enhancement Program, which allows 80 percent of the fee receipts to be
used to enhance visitor services and repair facilities within the Outer
Climbing The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse – What to Know Before You Go
The climb is strenuous! Climbing the 248 iron spiral stairs to
the top is equal to climbing a 12-story building. The stairs have
a handrail on only one side and a landing every 31 steps. There
is no air conditioning. It may be noisy, humid, hot, and dim
inside the lighthouse, and there is two-way traffic on the narrow
Visitors with heart, respiratory, or other medical conditions or who
have trouble climbing stairs should use their own discretion as to
whether to climb the tower.
Climbing tickets are available on a first come/first served basis and
can only be purchased in-person at the site on the day of the
climb. There are no advance ticket sales.
Ticket sales begin at 8:15 a.m. Climbing tours will begin at 9
a.m. and will run every 10 minutes with a limit of 30 visitors per
tour. Ticket sales close at 4:30 p.m. in the spring and fall, and
at 5:30 p.m. from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend to Labor
Day. Ticket holders should arrive at the lighthouse gate five
minutes prior to their ticketed tour time.
The lighthouse may close at any time if weather conditions are unsafe.
- • Children must be at least 42 inches tall
• Children must be capable of climbing all steps on their own
• No person may be lifted or carried
• Children under the age of 12 years old must be escorted by an adult.
• Running, jumping, or stomping on stairs and landings is prohibited
• Do not eat, drink, smoke, or chew tobacco
• No pets, other than service animals
• Do not arrive in bare feet or heels over 1 1/2 inches high
• Backpacks, tripods, coolers, beach bags,
umbrellas and other large, bulky objects need to be left in your car
• Frisbees and other throwing equipment are prohibited