| January 26, 2009
Ferry Division makes route changes that affect Ocracoke
The N.C. Department of Transportation’s Ferry Division has made
changes to its Cedar Island, Ocracoke, and Swan Quarter routes. There
are also changes on the Cherry Branch route.
The adjustments are being made in order to meet U.S. Coast Guard
requirements of no more than a 12-hour work shift per day, per crew
member, per vessel.
The schedule changes at Swan Quarter, Cedar Island and Ocracoke routes
went into effect Jan. 21 and will last through May 18, when the
heaviest tourist traffic begins. The adjusted schedule for Cherry
Branch will become effective Monday, Jan. 26, and will be year-round.
Departures from both Cedar Island and Ocracoke are 7:30 a.m., 10:30, 2 p.m. and 5.
Departures from Swan Quarter to Ocracoke are 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., and
from Ocracoke to Swan Quarter, the departures are at 7 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The following runs at Cherry Branch have been stopped:
• 3:35 p.m. from both sides;
• 5:15 p.m. from Cherry Branch;
• 5:45 p.m. from Minnesott Beach;
• 8:45 p.m., 10:45 and 12:45 a.m. from Cherry Branch; and
• 9:15 and 11:15 p.m. and 1:05 a.m. from Minnesott Beach.
Time changes to the Cherry Branch schedule include:
• the 3:15 p.m. run from both sides will now depart at 3:25 p.m.;
• the 9:45 p.m. from Cherry Branch is changed to 9:30 p.m.; and
• the 11:45 p.m. run is changed to 11:30 p.m..
• From Minnesott Beach, the 8:15 p.m. departure
is changed to 8:30 p.m. and the 10:15 p.m. changed to 10:30 p.m.
For a complete look at the 2009 schedules go to www.ncferry.org or call 1-800-By-Ferry to hear the updated times.