structures housing portable toilets near the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
in Buxton burned to the ground last night.
Hatteras District Ranger David Carter said that the fires were reported
to Dare County Communications about 5 a.m. this morning.
addition to the Park Service, Buxton Volunteer Fire Department
responded, but the structures were pretty much total losses when they
arrived on the scene.
“They were just smoldering,” Carter said,
adding that the structures had probably been burning for a while before
they were reported.
One of the structures is at the Old
Lighthouse Site and the other at the Buxton Beach parking lot, also
used for overflow parking for the lighthouse.
The Park Service
is seeking information from anyone who can help find out how the fires
started and who started them. If you have information, call Dare County
Communications at 473-3444.
The same two structures were burned
in fires on Sept. 21, 2008. That night, fire also damaged the permanent
bathroom facility at the Haulover between Buxton and Avon and portable
structures at the picnic area near the nature trail.
The Park Service said those fires were intentionally set, but no
arrests were ever made.
on Oct. 23, a fire destroyed the fee kiosk at the Cape Point
Campground. Park officials also suspected that fire was
intentionally set but there were no arrests.