October 26, 2015
49 1/2-inch fish wins NCBBA Red Drum Tournament
By IRENE NOLAN
seventh annual North Carolina Beach Buggy Association Red Drum
Tournament drew 292 anglers from across the country who caught 38 red
drum, including 23 citations, six yearlings and nine puppy drum -- all
winning red drum was caught by Jamie Fajardo of Fuquay Varina, N.C.,
who reeled in a 49.5-inch fish. Fajardo was also last year's winner
with a 52-inch red drum.
started at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, and ended at noon on Saturday,
Oct. 24, on beaches from Ramp 23 in Salvo to Ramp 38 in Avon that were
patrolled by 35 volunteer judges who also fished. Tournament
headquarters was again at Frank and Fran's tackle shop in Avon.
participants competed for $8,500 in cash and prizes that were awarded
at a banquet on Saturday evening at Cape Hatteras Secondary School.
The anglers included 8 juniors -- under 16 -- 28 women, and 70 seniors -- over 65.
The tournament's final results are:
- Largest Red Drum Overall -- Jamie Fajardo of Fuquay Varina, N.C., 49.50 inches.
- Second Largest Red Drum Overall -- Michael Eastridge of Charlotte, N.C., 49.25 inches.
- Largest Red Drum, Day 1 -- Tom Jasinski of Chocowinity, N.C., 48.25 inches.
- Second Largest Red Drum, Day 1 is Calvin Settle of Anawalt, W.Va., 47 inches.
- Largest Red Drum, Day 2 -- Calvin Settle of Anawalt, W.Va., 49.25 inches.
- Second Largest Red Drum, Day 2 -- Jeremy Bendler of Silver Springs, Md., 48 inches.
- Largest Red Drum, Day 3 -- David Griffin of Fuquay Varina, N.C., 47.25 inches.
- Second Largest Red Drum, Day 3 -- Jamie Fajardo of Fuquay Varina, N.C., 47 inches.
Red Drum Caught -- Gregg Griffin of Holly Springs, N.C., with three.
(Time of catch broke the tie with Jamie Fajardo who also had three.)
- Largest Red Drum by a Junior Angler -- McKenna Fulcher of Morehead City, N.C., 25.50 inches.
- Largest Red Drum by a Female Angler -- Beth Barsalou of Highland Springs, Va., 46.75 inches.
- Largest Red Drum by a Senior Angler -- Michael Frick Sr. of Spring Hill, Tenn., 47.25 inches.
- Largest Bluefish Overall (16-inch minimum) -- Todd Krantz of Chapel Hill, N.C., 18.75 inches.
- Largest Sea Mullet Overall (14-inch minimum) -- John Ross of Bolivia, N.C., 1 pound, 14 ounces, 16.75 inches.
For more information on NCBBA or the tournament, go to www.ncbba.org.