The annual island-wide food drive to stock the shelves of the Hatteras Island Food Pantry is currently underway.
Residents and visitors are asked to participate in this drive as
contributions of both food and money are badly needed. Without them,
organizers say that the pantry will be unable to meet the needs of the
community, which was devastated by Hurricane Matthew.
When considering what to donate, think "complete meals." For
example, pair up spaghetti sauce with the pasta, peanut butter with the
jelly, non-fat dry milk and sugar with cereal. Personal care
products and household cleaning agents are also needed, as are pet
foods and kitty litter.
Food donations should be unopened and not past their "use by"
dates. If the dates have come and gone, then the food may not be
safe to eat.
If you do not have time to shop, then please make a monetary
donation. It's tax deductible, and none of it is used for
"administrative costs." Checks can be written to United
Methodist Men and mailed to Hatteras Island Food Pantry, P.O. Box 1591,
Buxton, NC 27920.
The following are this year's collection points where food can be dropped off:
- Hatteras Realty in Avon and Waves. Daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Frisco Shopping Center in Frisco. Daily 6 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Our Lady of the Seas Catholic Parish in Buxton. 24-hour drop-off box on porch of social hall.
- Outer Beaches Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Waves. Daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Surf-or-Sound Realty in Avon and Salvo. Daily 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 a.m.
- Midgett Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Rodanthe. Daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- First South Bank in Buxton. Daily 9 am - 5 pm; Fri. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
This food drive will run through Dec. 31. If you have questions or
would like more information about the food pantry's on-going needs,
then please contact food drive organizer, Linda Browning at 252