March 2, 2017
Dare County plans
large item household pickup for April
Dare County Sanitation Department will be conducting a large household
pick-up for residential customers only. No commercial business debris
will be picked up.
- April 4, 2017 Tuesday - Hatteras, Frisco, and Buxton
- April 5, 2017 Wednesday - Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, and Avon
- April 6, 2017 Thursday - Manns Harbor, East Lake, and Stumpy Point
- April 11, 2017 Tuesday - Kitty Hawk
- April 12, 2017 Wednesday - Colington
- April 19, 2017 Wednesday - Manteo and Wanchese
- April 25, 2017 Wednesday - Martin’s Point
- (The Town of Southern Shores will be conducting their own pick up. Please contact them for further information.)
The county asks please do not interfere with county employees picking
up large items. If large item pick-up falls on your regular garbage
collection day, please do not block the garbage container.
Be mindful of overhead power lines and try to place items in such a way
that County trucks will not be in danger of coming in contact with them.
Materials must be at curbside no later than 6:00 am on the date of collection. There will not be a second day pick-up. Please do not place items for the county large item pickup at
the roadside until the day before your pickup will be held. If the
county does not take an item(s) you placed on the roadside, it has been
rejected and must be disposed of at your expense.
On this special pick-up, the County will collect the following
recyclable items: used auto tires, used motor oil (only in spill proof
containers), auto radiators, scrap metals (rims, motor parts),
appliances, furniture, and mattresses and box springs. Please remove
doors from refrigerators.
The following items WILL NOT be collected: old clothes, shoes,
cardboard, etc., tree limbs, stumps, leaves, any yard-clearing debris,
construction/demolition materials such as lumber, toilets, windows,
doors, etc., any hazardous materials (oil based paint, pesticides,
etc.) Water based paint can be picked up but must be dried out. All
normal household garbage must be disposed of in your black can.
"Take pride in your home and respect your neighbors," the county
advises. "Please do not leave trash at the roadside expecting it to be