Scroll Down to See Events
Welcome to the holidays on the islands, and let us hear from you
Welcome to the 2018 Christmas on the Islands Page, which features holiday shopping tips and information and news about events during November and December.
We hope our readers will shop locally for their holiday gifts and other needs. Our small, locally owned businesses need our support all year-round.
Most of the advertisers in our holiday shopping guide have websites, so you can shop even if you won’t be here.
The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are a great time to be on the islands. Have a terrific holiday season and enjoy!
We will be happy to list your event. Please send information to [email protected].
HATTERAS AND OCRACOKE HOLIDAY FEATURES AND EVENTS
Dare County Releases Christmas and New Year’s Trash Schedule
Christmas (Week of December 24 - 28)
• Commercial pick-ups for all areas are scheduled for Wednesday, December 26 and Friday, December 28.
• Residential collection for Kitty Hawk, Colington, Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras on Thursday, December 27.
• Residential collection for Manteo, Wanchese, East Lake, Manns Harbor, Stumpy Point, Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, and Avon on Friday, December 28.
The Dare County C&D Landfill, the Manteo and Buxton Transfer Stations, the Manteo Recycle Yard, and the Rodanthe Recycle Center will be closed for Christmas on December 24, 25 and 26.
New Year’s Week (December 31-January 4)
• Monday, December 31st: Kitty Hawk, Colington, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras
• Tuesday, January 1st: CLOSED, NO TRASH COLLECTION
• Wednesday, January 2nd: Manteo, Wanchese, Manns Harbor, East Lake, Stumpy Point, Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo and Avon
• Thursday, January 3rd: Kitty Hawk, Colington, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras
• Friday, January 4th: Manteo, Wanchese, Manns Harbor, East Lake, Stumpy Point, Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo and Avon
• Commercial pick-ups will be on Monday, December 31, Wednesday, January 3rd, and Friday, January 4th
The Dare County C&D Landfill, the Manteo and Buxton Transfer Stations, the Manteo Recycle Yard and the Rodanthe Recycle Center will be closed for New Year’s Day on Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
Cape Hatteras Baseball Team Contributes More Than $1,800 in Toys to Angel Gift Program
The 2019 Cape Hatteras Hurricane Baseball team kicked off the Christmas season in a big way on Saturday, December 8. Saturday marked the conclusion of our 2018 community service project to provide toys for the Hatteras United Methodist Church Angel Gift program. Read More
Our Coast’s Food: Christmas Sausage Balls
We were so proud of the cheese ball we made that Christmas Eve afternoon. I blended gorgonzola, cheddar and cream cheese, folded in spiced-rum-soaked raisins, added dashes of nutmeg, ground cloves, too, and then rolled the whole thing in chopped pecans my boyfriend had toasted on the wood stove. Read More
CHES Students Celebrate Holidays Around the World
Kindergarten and first grade students at the Cape Hatteras Elementary School (CHES) got into a global holiday spirit on Tuesday with their lively annual celebration of “Holidays Around the World.” Read More
Christmas Cantata at St. John United Methodist Church
UMC Combined Choir will present Christmas Cantata
United Methodist Combined Choir of Hatteras Island will present the
Christmas Cantata, "Forever, God Is With Us," during December.
The schedule is:
• Little Grove UMC -- Sunday, Dec. 9 at 8:15 a.m.
• Cape Hatteras Baptist Church -- Wednesday, Dec.12 at 6:30 p.m.
• Buxton UMC -- Sunday, Dec. 16, at 9:30 a.m.
• Hatteras UMC -- Sunday, Dec. 16 at 11:15 a.m.
Taizé Advent Service planned at Our Lady of the Seas
They’re Back! Tundra Swans Return to Spend the Holidays on Hatteras Island
Islanders travelling along N.C. Highway 12 on Pea Island have likely noticed a lot more white - and a lot more noise – in the past several weeks. Read More
More than $1700 in Donations Given to Local Organizations through 6th Annual Gobble Gobble Giveaway...WITH SLIDE SHOW
9 a.m. on Monday morning, guests and locals gathered with Outer Beaches
Realty at Conner’s Supermarket in Buxton for the 6th Annual Gobble
Gobble Giveaway. The annual event aims to prove that Thanksgiving
grocery shopping can be a lot of fun, via a lucky winner’s fast-paced
shopping spree that zips through the aisles of Conner's
Supermarket. Read More
Proceeds from a Giant Christmas Stocking Raffle Will Benefit Local Family In Need
Island Convenience is raffling a 5 ft. Christmas Stocking filled with the latest toys that are age appropriate for 4 - 8 year olds. The tickets are $1 and are on sale at Island Convenience in Rodanthe. The drawing will be held December 17. All funds raised will be distributed by Pastor Toni Wood to a local family in need.
26th Annual Island-Wide Food Drive Is in Progress
The 26th Annual Island-wide Food Drive to help stock the shelves of the Hatteras Island Food Pantry is still in progress and will continue through Dec. 31. Please do what you can to support the pantry. Without your help, it will be unable to meet the needs of island residents this winter.
Items in highest demand are tea bags, sugar (small bags), coffee, powdered coffee creamer, cooking oil, pasta sauce (not tomato sauce), canned veggies especially mixed veggies, spinach, collards, peas, creamed corn, carrots, and beets (not green beans), canned fruit (not applesauce), and cereals.
You may drop off your donations of unopened non-perishable foods, household cleaning agents, personal care products, dog and cat food, and kitty litter at the following locations:
1. Hatteras Realty in Avon (daily 9 am-5 pm)
2. Our Lady of the Seas Catholic Parish Social Hall in Buxton (24-hr. drop box on porch - that's the hall, NOT the church)
3. Frisco Shopping Center in Frisco (daily 6 am-9 pm)
4. Surf-or-Sound Realty in Avon and Salvo (daily 9 am-5 pm)
5. Midgett Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Rodanthe (daily 9 am-5 pm)
7. Outer Beaches Realty in Waves, Avon, and Hatteras (daily 9 am-5 pm)
8. Crescom Bank (formerly First South Bank) in Buxton (Mon.- Fri., 9 am-5 pm)
9. Sun Realty in Avon (daily 9 am-5 pm)
10. Frank & Fran's in Avon (daily 6 am-5 pm)
If you don't have time to shop, then please consider making a monetary donation. It's tax deductible. Checks can be written to United Methodist Men and mailed to Hatteras Island Food Pantry, PO Box 1591, Buxton, NC 27920. Questions? Please contact food drive organizer, Linda Browning, at (252) 995-3662.
Trash Pick-up Schedule Modified for Holiday Weeks
Dare County has released information on the trash pickup schedule for the 2018 holidays. Read More