There are no changes to the trash collection schedule over Memorial Day weekend for Dare County Public Works. All areas will operate on their normal schedule on Monday, May 25.
The Dare County C&D Landfill, Buxton Transfer Station, Rodanthe Recycle Center and Manteo Recycle Yard will be closed on Monday, May 25 in observance of Memorial Day.
Kitty Hawk’s Saturday trash collection for the east side (beachside) of the bypass will begin Saturday, May 30, and continue through Labor Day.
Dare County Public Works is hosting a Household Hazardous Waste Collection for Dare County residents and the agricultural community at three locations. Please label any unmarked containers before drop off if the contents are known.
- The Northern Beach collection will take place on Thursday, May 28 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Kitty Hawk Recycle Center located at 4190 Bob Perry Road.
- The Buxton collection will take place on Friday, May 29 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Buxton Transfer Station located at 47015 Buxton Back Road.
- The Roanoke Island collection will take place on Saturday, May 30 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Dare County Public Works Facility located at 1018 Driftwood Drive in Manteo.
For more information, contact Solid Waste Superintendent Doug Huff at 252.475.5843
- Paint, polishes, varnishes
- Paint related materials
- Aerosol cans
- Motor Oil
- Fuel additives
- Household cleaners
- Herbicides/Insecticides (etc.)
- Pool chemicals
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Automotive batteries
- Automotive fluids (brake, transmission, etc.)
Items Not Accepted
- Commercial/business/industrial waste
- 55-gallon drums of material
- Radioactive material
- Cylinders (other than propane or fire extinguishers)