Cape Hatteras National Seashore announces public comment period for plan to build multi-use pathway in Buxton
Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Seashore) invites public review and comments on an environmental assessment (EA) for the construction of a new multi-use pathway along Lighthouse Road, in the Seashore’s Hatteras Island District. The EA is open for public comment from Feb. 27 through March 28, 2023.
A new pathway would provide users originating in the village of Buxton with a resilient, safe and accessible route to many of the Seashore’s key visitor use areas including the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Museum of the Sea and beach accesses.
Two alternatives and analysis of their potential impacts are presented for public review in the Construct Multi-use Pathway in Hatteras Island District EA and newsletter.
No Action Alternative A – Current Management
- A multi-use pathway would not be constructed along Lighthouse Road and current management of the area would continue.
Preferred Alternative B – Construct a multi-use pathway
- A 1.6-mile-long paved multi-use pathway would be constructed on one side of the road in two segments.
- Elements of the pathway include wayfinding signage, benches, bollards and the reconfiguration of the Seashore entrance for intersection improvements and connections to local sidewalks.
- A standard five-foot vegetative buffer parallel to Lighthouse Road from N.C. Highway 12 to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and beach access areas would be created to enhance safety.
- The multi-use pathway would follow American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) standards with a minimum of 10-foot wide path for two-way bike travel.
- An educational plaza with comfort station and picnic tables, benches and bike racks would be constructed.
- This alternative would allow bicycles, electric bicycles and motorized wheelchairs on the new pathway.
- This alternative would not allow equestrian use on the new pathway.
Public participation is an important element of the planning process, and the Seashore welcomes comments on the EA through Tuesday, March 28, 2023. Comments may be submitted electronically, the preferred method, or mailed to: Superintendent, 1401 National Park Dr., Manteo, N.C. 27954.