A fire destroyed a home on North Holiday Boulevard in Rodanthe early Monday morning, leaving only the pilings behind. Renters were staying at the home at the time of the fire, but were able to leave the structure safely, and no serious injuries have been reported.
Both the Salvo and Rodanthe components of the Chicamacomico Banks Volunteer Fire Department, as well as the Avon Volunteer Fire Department, responded to the fire.
“We were paged out a little after midnight,” said Chicamacomico Banks Fire Dept. Chief. Mike Daugherty, “and we left there at around 4:30 or 5 a.m. this morning. It was a heavily involved fire when we arrived, and later it was fully involved.”
“It had been going for a little while before it got noticed,” he added.
The Dare County Fire Marshall visited the site this morning. No exact cause of the fire has been determined yet, but it is believed that the fire started outside of the home.
The crews had fully put out the fire by early Monday morning, and returned to the site later Monday to do a final clean up and examination.
“All of the crews did an amazing job,” said Daugherty, “and [we extend] a big thank you to the crew from Station 46 [in Avon.]”