Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum is hiring - $35,788 (Hatteras)
Learn about the Division: https://graveyardoftheatlantic.com.
Learn about our employee perks/benefits: https://oshr.nc.gov/state-employee-resources/benefits
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the Museum Manager in carrying out various types of administrative activities to meet the Museum’s mission.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performing a variety of important administrative, programmatic, and technical duties in developing and maintaining Museum operations.
- In the Director’s absence, employee identifies and resolves all routine matters and technical problems; enforces department and museum policies and procedures; and develops public contacts to promote established programs.
- Working with the Director, employee is responsible for purchasing, budget preparation and control, and conducting personnel transactions.
- Assists the Director with professional staff and budgets in management activities; confers with representatives of other county departments and state agencies in administrative service problems.
- Analyzes administrative problems and makes recommendations for new or revised policies and procedures.
- Disseminates information involving interpretation of policies, laws, and activities of the museum; performs related duties as required.
The North Carolina Maritime Museum is a part of the Division of State History Museums under the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR). The mission of the North Carolina Maritime Museum System is to collect, preserve, research, document, and interpret the maritime history, culture, and environment of coastal North Carolina for diverse, public, and specialized audiences to inspire appreciation, encourage discovery, and promote an active, responsible understanding for maritime heritage among present and future generations.
The North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) takes care of the things that people love about North Carolina, literally from A to Z. The Arts to the Zoo, and so much else – parks, aquariums, historic sites, archaeology, African American Heritage Commission, science and history museums, the state Symphony, Library and Archives, historic preservation, land and water stewardship, and more. These places, and the ideas they represent, create a shared identity in North Carolina. They provide common ground. Everyone is welcome. The Department’s vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational, and economic future of North Carolina. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state’s diverse population, culture, and history. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
Check out this amazing video about our Department. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
** To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must provide the information on the application form. Any information omitted from the application form, listed as general statements, listed under the text resume section, or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. **
To qualify for this position, you must meet ALL the following KSAs listed below:
- Demonstrated experience in office and/or museum administration, principles, practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in initiating and/or installing administrative programs and procedures and evaluating their effectiveness.
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of software packages used to enter, retrieve, verify, update, research, and/or authorize actions.
- General knowledge of personnel policies and procedures and the ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in establishing, applying, and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in accounting practices and procedures and the ability to plan and project fiscal operating needs.
- Demonstrated experience in composing and/or proofreading correspondences, reports, and/or records.
- Must have a general knowledge of facility security systems.
- Must have a valid NC Driver’s License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Experience in utilizing social media such as Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and two years of related administrative experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supplemental and Contact Information
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) selects applicants for employment based on required education and experience and job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation or political influence.
Please be sure to complete the application in full. Note the following:
Resumes and cover letters: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application nor will it be considered for qualifying credit. “See Resume” or “See Attachment” will not be accepted, and your application will be rejected as incomplete. Cover letters are highly encouraged but not required.
Transcripts: Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and a copy of your transcripts indicating the degree received can be uploaded with your application. If the position you are applying for requires verification of classes taken for the position, then your transcripts must be uploaded to be considered.
Veterans Preference: To obtain veterans preference, you must scan and upload a copy of your DD-214 or discharge orders.
Americans with Disabilities: Applicants requesting an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are eligible to submit paper applications via mail or by fax. Please call the human resources office for assistance.
Multiple Applications: Please refrain from submitting multiple applications, however; if multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the closing date will be accepted. Applications must be submitted by 5:00 PM on the closing date, unless otherwise noted.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. Upon the closing date, applications are “Under Review” and will be screened by Human Resources for the qualified applicants. The hiring process may take an average of 6 – 8 weeks.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
If you are having technical issues submitting your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting, other than your application status, please contact the DNCR Human Resources Office.
N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
Division of Human Resources
4603 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4603