are required and must be purchased in advance online through
www.recreation.gov, starting at 10 a.m., three days prior to the tour
date. Tickets are $8 per adult, and $4 for children (11 and under) and
seniors (62 and older). The number of visitors on each tour is
limited--it is best to purchase your ticket early.
Full Moon Tours will take place on:
- May 21 at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. (ticket sales start at 10 a.m., May 18)
- June 20 at 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. (ticket sales start at 10 a.m., June 17)
- July 19 at 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. (ticket sales start at 10 a.m., July 16)
- August 18 at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. (ticket sales start at 10 a.m., August 15)
- September 16 at 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. (ticket sales start at 10 a.m., September 13)
Tours may be canceled if weather conditions are unsafe, i.e. high winds, storms, and/or lightning in the area.
joining the climb must be at least 42-inches tall and must climb the
steps on their own—they cannot be carried. Also, keep in mind that some
youngsters may not enjoy the dimly lit, sometimes claustrophobic
environment. Children 11 years of age and younger must be accompanied
by an adult (16 or older).
to purchasing tickets, consider your own limitations and those of your
group. The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has 257 steps from the ground to
the balcony level--equal to climbing a 12-story building. The
lighthouse is tall, dark, often hot and humid, and can be a challenge
to climb. There is no air conditioning or internal lights.