The Dare Count Sheriff’s Department is warning the public about a jury duty/arrest warrants, etc. scam that has surfaced once again. They do have court coming up where jurors may be needed. You may receive some mail, a phone call or even a visit by a Deputy if you do not show up to court as instructed.
The Sheriff’s Office advises the following:
- WE WILL NOT call you and tell you to pay any amount of money over the phone. If someone calls you on our behalf and asks you to pay anything over the phone it is a SCAM.
- Do not purchase any ‘Green Dot’ cards or other forms of payment to give to them. If you have any concerns about a call you received please give the Sheriff’s Office, your Local Police Department and/or the Clerk of Courts a call.
- DO NOT call the number back they called you from or provided you. These individuals can be intimidating and forceful and may call you back numerous times. These SCAM ARTISTS are getting better at their craft and the phone number may look like it came from a Law Enforcement Facility or Clerk of Courts, 252 475 5200.
- After they ask you for money to be provided over the phone, HANG UP call us using one of the following numbers:
- Dare County Communications non-emergency number 252-473-3444
- Dare County Sheriff’s Office – 252-475-5980