Organizers are gearing up for the 2022 season of the Hatteras Community Fish Fry, a weekly Hatteras village event that has been a local tradition since 1955.
Once again, the Hatteras Volunteer Fire Department will be the seasonal home of the fish fry from Memorial Day Weekend until Labor Day. Profits from the Fish Fry will again be shared equally among the following organizations: the Hatteras United Methodist Church, the Hatteras Village Volunteer Fire Department, the Hatteras Ladies Fire Auxiliary, and the Hatteras Village Civic Association.
Prices for 2022 remain the same as previous years, and are as follows:
- Large plate – $13.00. Includes 2 pieces of fish with 2 sides, hushpuppies & tea
- Small plate – $ 9.00. Includes 1 piece of fish with 2 smaller sides & tea
- Homemade dessert – Donation based
The fish fry is held every Saturday from May 28 until September 3, from 5:00 p.m. until dinner is sold out.
“We have had a lot of changes over the winter, and the new Fish Fry season is in need of volunteers,” stated organizers in an update. “It takes about 25 to 30 people to prepare for the fish fry, and ensure that everyone who comes to purchase a meal has a meaningful experience as well as a good meal.”
Folks who are able to volunteer on Saturday mornings or afternoons can sign up for varying time slots in order to help with the following:
- The morning shift prepares the salad, slaw, and hushpuppy mix, cuts lemons, prepares cocktail sauce and tartar sauce, and makes tea.
- The 3:00 p.m. shift washes, salts, and breads the fish, and finishes mixing the hushpuppy mix for the cook shack. Volunteers can also prepare tables for the fish fry, and set up the tea table and dessert table.
- The 4:30 shift comes to work the serving line, the dessert station, and the beverage station. This shift also works in the kitchen, washing dishes and keeping food prepared.
- In addition, organizers need at least 10 homemade desserts each week.
Islanders who are interested in volunteering can do so by emailing Linda O’Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org.