The Hatteras Island village of Avon has seen one of the highest increases in online searches in the world as a 2023 summer vacation destination.
According to a new report from HomeToGo, the marketplace with the world’s largest selection of vacation rentals, its 2023 Spring/Summer Travel Trends reveals which trends are heating up and how travelers are planning to cure their wanderlust.
HomeToGo reported seeing an increase in the number of travelers looking beyond their conventional trips and planning more and longer off-season stays in under-the-radar destinations.
“In 2023, the international demand kickstarted last summer continues to soar, with newly sparked interest from travelers to seek out new experiences and explore destinations in lesser-known parts of the world,” said Caroline Burns, HomeToGo Director of Public Relations.
“Travelers are being more flexible with their dates for spring and summer ‘23, scouting more month-long stays, and planning trips in the off-season,” Burns said.
Avon was fourth in HomeToGo’s rankings for increased searches compared to 2022, with a jump of 274 percent. Topsail Beach, N.C., led the list with an increase of 543 percent.
“We’re also seeing vacationers taking inspiration from their favorite movies and TV shows, and looking to turn their on-screen dreams into a travel reality,” Burns said.
Other destinations in the top 10 was Crete (406 percent); Keuka Lake, New York (397 percent); Sandbridge in Virginia Beach (273 percent); Brewster, Massachusetts (226 percent); Sussex County, Delaware (175 percent); Protaras, Cyprus (161 percent); Normandy, France (157 percent); and Sea Isle City, New Jersey (154 percent).
The data was based on traveler searches on HomeToGo.com for vacation rentals with a check-in date between June 21 and September 22, 2023.
“After last year’s rush to get out and go abroad, it’s incredible to see this enthusiasm for international travel continue with more emphasis on planning their adventures abroad and trailblazing unique experiences,” Burns said.
Based on an analysis of HomeToGo traveler search patterns, other key trends and developments for the upcoming spring and summer seasons include:
- Demand for Spring Travel Blossoms: During what is typically a quieter season for travel, HomeToGo has seen a +14% annual increase in the search demand for spring season stays between March and June.
- Film-spiration Travel: After a big year for blockbuster films and TV series, there has been a significant jump in year-over-year search demand from travelers wanting to visit the destinations they have seen on screen. These destinations include those showcased in the second season of The White Lotus (Sicily +175% and Taormina +89% YoY in searches) as well as House of the Dragon filming locations in Trujillo, Spain (+86%) and Monsanto, Portugal (+109%), and Top Gun: Maverick (San Diego +89% and South Lake Tahoe +94%).
- Albania Becomes Europe’s Top Trending Country for Summer Travel: The number of travelers searching for summer vacation accommodation in Albania has doubled in the past year (+105% YoY in searches). Specifically, the areas of Saranda (+124%), Ksamil (+94%), Dhërmi (+75%) are seeing the biggest spikes in search demand amongst high season travelers. Being located on the Adriatic coast, this destination promises warm weather combined with affordable prices.
- Increase in Long-Stay Holidays: More U.S. travelers appear to plan on taking advantage of flexible remote work policies and digital nomad visas this summer. The number of U.S. travelers searching for 30+ day stays this summer has increased by +28% compared to last year.
- Surging Interest in the Asia Pacific Region: In the last six months, many countries in the Asia Pacific region have relaxed their COVID-19 entry requirements for travelers visiting from abroad. As a result, HomeToGo sees compelling increases in the demand for summer stays in countries across the Asia Pacific region, including Singapore (+117% YoY in searches), Malaysia (+106%), Philippines (+71%), and Vietnam (+53%).