The Hatteras Island Youth Education Fund (HIYEF) recently awarded $55,803.67 to local educators for varying initiatives at the Cape Hatteras Elementary and Cape Hatteras Secondary Schools, in two grant cycles that took place in August and October 2023.
The 26 grants, which provided funds for a range of initiatives from field trips to new equipment, included a $20,000 distribution towards a new scoreboard for the Cape Hatteras Soccer Field.
Officially established in 2011, HIYEF supports the educational needs of students on Hatteras Island by providing equipment, materials, and experiences that would otherwise not be available through public funding.
While the non-profit HIYEF secures a large portion of its funds through its big annual event – the upcoming Thanksgiving Day Surfin’ Turkey 5K and Puppy Drum Fun Run – a hefty $10,000 donation from Surf or Sound Realty was also instrumental in being able to provide funds for all of the fall 2023 teacher requests.
“We had a lot of teachers apply, and we were able to fully fund or partially fund all requests this year,” said HIYEF Grant Coordinator Kelly Williams.
In the 2022 Fall Grant Cycle, HIYEF provided $22,568.33 for 10 different requests, so 2023 was a banner year for helping to launch new endeavors and projects throughout Hatteras Island’s two schools.
A sample of some of the projects that were funded by the HIYEF in the fall of 2023 include the following:
- Cape Hatteras Elementary School (CHES) Apple TV for Grade 1 DLI classes
- Cape Hatteras Secondary School (CHSS) Science Olympiad supplies
- CHSS Mobile Planetarium
- CHSS Eastern N.C. College trip
- CHSS Multi-sport PE goals and balls
- CHSS National High School Journalism Convention
- CHSS Surf Club surfboards
- CHSS Coastal Study Institute field trips
- CHES Supplies for Stem Lab
- CHES 3D Printing stations and filament
- CHSS Statistics Garden
- CHSS Smartboard for EC Classroom
- CHES Regulation toolboxes and stations for mental health
- CHSS ELA Trip to Washington D.C.
- CHSS Student Incentive Trips to OBX Jumpmasters and OBX Bowling
“This donation from Surf or Sound has been so important, since we had a lot of requests [this fall], and we really survive on donations,” said Williams.
“It is through donations like this, community businesses sponsoring our races, and our upcoming fundraiser, the Surfin’ Turkey 5k and Puppy Drum Fun Run, that allow us to be sustainable year after year for the students of Cape Hatteras Schools.”
“All of our proceeds from our fundraiser, business sponsorships, and donations go straight back into the Cape Hatteras Schools for educational opportunities for their students that would not otherwise be available,” she added. “We are so thankful to be part of such a wonderful community and school system. We hope to see everyone bright and early on Thanksgiving morning for another great Surfin’ Turkey!”
How you can help:
- There is still time to register for the annual Thanksgiving Day Surfin’ Turkey 5K and Puppy Drum Fun Run on Thursday morning, November 23. To register, click here.
- Click here to make an online donation to the HIYEF
- Donations can also be mailed to: HIYEF, PO Box 750, Avon, NC 27915