The Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) announced several recent updates and news items related to recreational activities and seashore conditions on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
News items and events related to the National Seashore for the week of April 24 include the following:
- The new Kite Point parking area opened this past week, and a small ribbon-cutting ceremony for the parking area will take place on Wednesday, May 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- Night driving restrictions at designated off-road vehicle (ORV) ramps begin
Wednesday, May 1. While night driving restrictions are in place, all vehicles
must be off oceanside beaches by 9:00 pm. Between May 1 and July 31, priority
ramps open each morning to ORV traffic at 6:00 am and open at all other
seasonally accessible ramps at 7:00 am.
- Before heading to the beach, Seashore visitors should check the daily rip current
forecast and rip current safety information . For text alerts on ocean conditions,
text “Join OBXBeachConditions” to 30890
- For current beach access information, go to: http://go.nps.gov/beachaccess .
- National Park Week and Junior Ranger Day Activities
- Date: April 25 and 26 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Grounds
- Description: To celebrate National Park Week at Cape Hatteras National Seashore, children can become Seashore Rangers by completing a free activity booklet, which is available at any visitor center. Junior Ranger education stations will be hosted by park rangers.
- Yoga on the Beach
- Date: April 28 at 10:00 a.m.
- Location: Coquina Beach
- Description: In partnership with The Outer Banks Hospital and in celebration of National Park Week, Cape Hatteras National Seashore invites you to participate in a free, one-hour yoga class at Coquina Beach. Bring a yoga mat or towel, sunscreen, and water. The class will feature a mindful, dynamic vinyasa flow for all levels with emphasis on breath and fun. There is no need to sign up in advance, just arrive a few minutes early ready for some yoga!
- Special Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Move Interpretive Program
- Date: May 3, 10:30 am to 11:00 a.m. (daily through October 14)
- Location: Hatteras Island Visitor Center Pavillion
- Description: To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse move, park rangers will present daily interpretive lighthouse move programs beginning May 3 and continuing through October 14. Additional interpretive programming and a special anniversary event will be held between June 17 and July 9, (the same dates as the lighthouse move in 1999). More details to be announced soon.
- 1st Annual Surf Fishing Heritage Celebration
- Date: November 2
- Location: Fessenden Center, Buxton
- Description: Cape Hatteras National Seashore, along with partner organizations, will celebrate the area’s strong surf fishing history at the 1st annual Cape Hatteras Surf Fishing Heritage Celebration. More details about this event will