The Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) announced several recent updates and news items related to recreational activities and seashore conditions on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
News items and events related to the National Seashore for the week of April 19 include the following:
- There is a high surf advisory in effect from early this afternoon through Saturday at 9:00 p.m. The advisory includes high risk of rip currents, dangerous shore break, and strong longshore current. Conditions will be life threatening for anyone entering the surf according to the National Weather Service. Please make safe choices.
- In addition to the high surf advisory, the area is forecast to receive severe thunderstorms and damaging winds late today and especially tonight. We will be warning all campers at our four campgrounds.
- National Park Week begins tomorrow. Check out the upcoming events section below for a listing of activities happening at the Seashore. Admission to Wright Brothers National Memorial is free tomorrow
- The Avon Fishing Pier opened for the season on Wednesday.
- For current beach access information, go to: http://go.nps.gov/beachaccess. Cape Point and South Point are open.
- National Park Week and Junior Ranger Day Activities
- Date: April 22, 23, 24 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and April 23, 25, 26 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Grounds
- Description: To celebrate National Park Week at Cape Hatteras National Seashore, children can become Seashore Rangers by completing a free activity booklet, which is available at any visitor center. Junior Ranger education stations will be hosted by park rangers.
- Yoga on the Beach
- Date: April 28 at 12:00 p.m.
- Location: Coquina Beach
- Description: In partnership with The Outer Banks Hospital and in celebration of National Park Week, Cape Hatteras National Seashore invites you to participate in a free, one-hour yoga class at Coquina Beach. Bring a yoga mat or towel, sunscreen, and water. The class will feature a mindful, dynamic vinyasa flow for all levels with emphasis on breath and fun. There is no need to sign up in advance, just arrive a few minutes early ready for some yoga!
- Opening Day of Lighthouse Climbing Season
- Date: Apr 19, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Description: Climb the Bodie Island and Cape Hatteras Lighthouses for free on opening day of the 2019 lighthouse climbing season. Free tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and can only be obtained in person, that day, on site.
- Special Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Move Interpretive Program
- Date: May 3, 10:30 am to 11:00 a.m. (daily through October 14)
- Location: Hatteras Island Visitor Center Pavillion
- Description: To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse move, park rangers will present daily interpretive lighthouse move programs beginning May 3 and continuing through October 14. Additional interpretive programming and a special anniversary event will be held between June 17 and July 9, (the same dates as the lighthouse move in 1999). More details to be announced soon.
- 1st Annual Surf Fishing Heritage Celebration
- Date: November 2
- Location: Fessenden Center, Buxton
- Description: Cape Hatteras National Seashore, along with partner organizations, will celebrate the area’s strong surf fishing history at the 1st annual Cape Hatteras Surf Fishing Heritage Celebration. More details about this event will