The Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) announced several recent updates and news items related to recreational activities and seashore conditions on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
News items and events related to the National Seashore for the week of December 6 include the following:
- A ribbon-cutting event for the new hunt blind/wildlife-viewing platform on Bodie Island took place on the morning of December 3. Visitors with limited mobility will be able to use the new Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) accessible hunt blind and wildlife-viewing platform to hunt waterfowl during authorized dates starting December 14.
For more information on the new hunt blind and wildlife-viewing platform, see https://islandfreepress.org/outer-banks-driving-on-the-beach/new-bodie-island-hunt-blind-and-wildlife-viewing-platform-opens-for-waterfowl-hunting-season-in-december/.
- Hyde County lifted the non-resident evacuation order for Ocracoke Island on December 2.
- N.C. Highway 12 also reopened at the north end Ocracoke Island on Thursday morning.
- For current beach access information, go to: http://go.nps.gov/beachaccess.
Winter Lighthouse Climb
- Date: December 14 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Location: Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
- Description: Climb the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse for free during the Seashore’s annual winter climb.