Two structures housing portable toilets near the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in Buxton burned to the ground last night.
Hatteras District Ranger David Carter said that the fires were reported to Dare County Communications about 5 a.m. this morning.
In addition to the Park Service, Buxton Volunteer Fire Department responded, but the structures were pretty much total losses when they arrived on the scene.
“They were just smoldering,” Carter said, adding that the structures had probably been burning for a while before they were reported.
One of the structures is at the Old Lighthouse Site and the other at the Buxton Beach parking lot, also used for overflow parking for the lighthouse.
The Park Service is seeking information from anyone who can help find out how the fires started and who started them. If you have information, call Dare County Communications at 473-3444.
The same two structures were burned in fires on Sept. 21, 2008. That night, fire also damaged the permanent bathroom facility at the Haulover between Buxton and Avon and portable structures at the picnic area near the nature trail.
The Park Service said those fires were intentionally set, but no arrests were ever made.
Also, on Oct. 23, a fire destroyed the fee kiosk at the Cape Point Campground. Park officials also suspected that fire was intentionally set but there were no arrests.