Buxton ranks #5 in Dr. Beach’s annual 10 Best Beaches list
Hatteras Island once again earned a top spot on the annual Dr. Beach’s 10 Best Beaches in the USA list, with the Lighthouse Beach in Buxton ranked as the #5 best beach in the country.
The Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, which makes regular appearances on the annual list, was not included in the 2023 round-up but earned a number #1 spot in 2022.
Released just before Memorial Day, the list is the brainchild of coastal expert Dr. Stephen Leatherman, director of the Florida International University’s Laboratory for Coastal Research, who has chosen America’s Top 10 beaches since 1991.
The rankings are based on 50 criteria, including water and sand quality, as well as facilities and environmental management.
More than 650 beaches in the country are included in the judging, and both Hatteras and Ocracoke islands have been regulars on the list since it was first formed, with Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach also landing a #1 spot in 2007.
The complete list of 2023 winners is below.
1. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
2. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
4. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
5. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
7. Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii
8. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
9. Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
10. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts