The Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station (CLSS) is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year, as one of the seven original Life-Saving Stations to be built in North Carolina in 1874.
As such, the Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station and Historic Site in Rodanthe will be sharing stories about the seven 1874 Outer Banks stations in the months ahead, leading up to the official October celebration of the United States Life-Saving Stations’ 150th anniversary in the state.
The following is the next of these Life-Saving Station feature articles to honor the #LegacyofLifeSaving, written by Jen Carlson for CLSS.
What’s in a Name? – The story behind Oregon Inlet
The history of the life-saving station known today as Oregon Inlet has a unique beginning. In 1846, a great hurricane created an inlet between Bodie Island and Pea Island. An unsuspecting vessel named Oregon was caught in the storm, but escaped to the safety of the ocean by using the newly formed inlet.
Because of the vessel, locals began calling the new inlet, Oregon’s Inlet, in honor of the vessel’s narrow escape.
In 1874, when the first station was built near the Oregon Inlet, it was actually misnamed Bodie Island Life-Saving Station even though it was built on Pea Island.
In 1878, construction of the second round of life-saving stations included one being built just north of the Bodie Island Lighthouse which was first called Tommy’s Hummock. In 1883, Tommy’s Hummock was renamed appropriately as Bodie Island Life-Saving Station and the original Bodie Island station was then renamed to become the Oregon Inlet Life-Saving Station.
On September 3, 1881, the morning lookout at the Bodie Island Station reported seeing a sailboat with only one man onboard drifting with the tide out of the inlet and in danger of capsizing on the breakers.
The crew immediately launched the surf boat to go to his assistance. They ended up towing the sailboat back to shore and assisted the man in reaching land safely.
All in a Day’s Work – A rescue by the Caffey’s Inlet Station in Duck
Sometimes it’s all about manual labor. On October 15, 1885, Keeper Daniel B. Austin and one other surfman from the Caffey’s Inlet Station in Duck assisted the master of the schooner, Weathercock, after she had grounded on a shell bank about two and a half miles west of the station.
The small schooner was carrying a load of lumber in addition to other building supplies. In order to get her afloat again, the men had to first partially unload the schooner to lighten her load so they could maneuver her off the bank.
After successfully refloating her, the cargo was loaded back on board and the Weathercock proceeded down the sound unaffected by her grounding.