September 22, 2011 Facebook TwitterMore...

UPDATE: Body of missing kiteboarder found on Portsmouth Island


The body of a kiteboarder missing since Sunday evening was recovered yesterday afternoon by Cape Lookout National Seashore staff members.

According to David Carter, Hatteras Island district ranger for the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, the body was recovered on Portsmouth Island, which is south of Ocracoke.

It was transported to Carteret General Hospital, where it was identified as Charles Jackson, 44, of Rodanthe, who went missing while kiteboarding off Cape Point on Sunday.

Jackson’s kite and board were recovered, and he was last seen standing on a shoal, yelling for help.

First responders – including the National Park Service, Hatteras Island Rescue Squad, and Dare County Sheriff’s Office – called in the U.S. Coast Guard about a half hour after the call first came in to Dare County 911.

The Coast Guard searched with a motor lifeboat, a helicopter, and a C-130 aircraft, but did not locate Jackson.  That search was called off Monday night.

Carter said the body was discovered about 35 miles south of where Jackson was last seen on the shoals off Cape Point.

Jackson was an experienced kiteboarder who was the assistant manager of the Kitty Hawk Kites store in Rodanthe.

September 19, 2011

Search is on for kiteboarder missing off Cape Hatteras


The search continues today for a kiteboarder missing since Sunday evening off Cape Hatteras.

The kiteboarder was identified by Cape Hatteras National Seashore district ranger David Carter as Charles Jackson, 44, of Rodanthe.

A call that the kiteboarder was in trouble came into Dare County Communications shortly after 5:30 p.m. yesterday.

The National Park Service, Hatteras Island Rescue Squad, and Dare County Sheriff’s Office responded.

According to details provided by Carter and by Bob Helle, assistant chief and public information officer of the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad, the kiteboarder went into the ocean just north of Cape Point.

Seas were rough yesterday in a persistent north/northeast wind.  Helle estimates waves at 6 to 8 feet with an occasional 10-footer.

Shortly after Jackson entered the water, his kite was blown over and hit the water.  He was apparently unable to get it airborne again and released the harness that tethered him to the kite.

“The last time I saw him,” Helle said, “he was standing on the shoals, actively yelling for help.”

About 6 p.m., first responders called for help from the U.S. Coast Guard, which sent a 47-foot motor life boat from Station Hatteras Inlet and an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and a C-130 Hercules aircraft from Air Station Elizabeth City to aid the search.

The search went on until after dark and then was called off until daybreak this morning.

Helle said the rescue squad had a truck on the beach all night, searching from Cape Point to Ramp 55 near Hatteras Inlet.

The search area also includes Ocracoke, and park service rangers on that island have been notified.

Carter said Jackson was considered to be an experienced kiteboarder.

Jackson had moved to Hatteras Island from the Houston, Texas, area.  He had been an assistant manager at the Kitty Hawk Kites store in Rodanthe for about a year.

His friends called him “A.J.” for “Action Jackson.”

“We’re hoping for a miracle around here,” co-worker Adam Super said this morning.

Carter said that Jackson’s family in Texas had been notified and were on their way to Hatteras today.

 Comments are always welcomed!

     Subject :

     Name :  (required)

     Email :  (required, will not be published)

     City :   (required)    State :   (required)

     Your Comments:

May be posted on the Letters to the Editor page at the discretion of the editor.