The Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) announced several recent updates and news items related to recreational activities and seashore conditions on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
- The Seashore is currently recruiting local and RV volunteers to assist at the lighthouses on Bodie and Hatteras Islands this spring! For more information and to apply, visit: https://www.volunteer.gov/results.cfm?ID=3617
- The 2019 camping season at the Oregon Inlet, Cape Point, Frisco, and Ocracoke campgrounds begins Friday, April 12. The campgrounds will remain open through December 2. Water and electric services are available at 23 camping sites at Oregon Inlet Campground. Reservations can be made by calling 1-877-444-6777, or on the internet at recreation.gov.
- More than 2.5 million visitors enjoyed Cape Hatteras National Seashore in 2018. It was the busiest year at the Seashore since 2003.
- 2018 Year in Review Presentations
- Mar 26, 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Location: Ocracoke Community Center, Ocracoke
- Mar 27, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Location: Fessenden Center Annex Building, Buxton
- Description: At two public meetings (Ocracoke & Buxton), Superintendent Hallac will review 2018 visitation patterns and park activities at Cape Hatteras NS, Fort Raleigh NHS, and Wright Brothers NMEM.
- Special Program – The Enemy in Home Waters: How World War I Came Home to America’s Shores
- Mar 27, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (Ocracoke Community Center, Ocracoke)
- Description: NOAA’s Monitor National Marine Sanctuary Research Coordinator, Tane Renata Casserley, will present information on World War I, the story of brave Americans who went up against Germany’s newest weapon, the U-boat, and NOAA’s work to honor nationally significant shipwrecks off North Carolina’s coast. The special program is free.
- Beach Cleanups on Bodie, Hatteras, and Ocracoke Islands
- Apr 13, 8:00 am to 12:00 p.m. More details will be announced soon.
Outer Banks Forever
Outer Banks Forever is the official non-profit partner of Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, and Wright Brothers National Memorial. Outer Banks Forever is an important philanthropic partner that will help us ensure that future generations of visitors will continue to create memories at the three national park sites on the Outer Banks.