The Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) announced several recent updates and news items related to recreational activities and seashore conditions on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
News items and events related to the National Seashore for the week of March 29 include the following:
- Superintendent Hallac will provide brief remarks at next Tuesday’s new bridge ribbon cutting ceremony. The ribbon cutting event will start at 2:00 p.m. at the south end of the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center (8770 Oregon Inlet Road, Nags Head).
- On the morning of Sunday, March 24, Seashore staff discovered damage to multiple signs along NC-12 near the Sandy Bay Day Use Area (between Frisco and Hatteras). Damaged signs included a North Carolina Department of Transportation speed limit sign, a National Park Service (NPS) Sandy Bay parking area sign, and multiple NPS resource protection signs. For more information, click here.
- Visitors can sign up for ocean safety text messages by texting “Join OBXBeachConditions” to 30890. Once daily rip current forecasts are available again, they will be posted to the park’s Facebook page and beach access page.
- Special Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Move Interpretive Program
- Date: May 3, 10:30 am to 11:00 a.m. (daily through October 14)
- Location: Hatteras Island Visitor Center Pavillion
- Description: To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse move, park rangers will present daily interpretive lighthouse move programs beginning May 3 and continuing through October 14. Additional interpretive programming and a special anniversary event will be held between June 17 and July 9, (the same dates as the lighthouse move in 1999). More details to be announced soon.
- Opening Day of Camping Season
- Date: Apr 12
- Location: Oregon Inlet, Cape Point, Frisco, and Ocracoke Campgrounds
- Description: The park’s four campgrounds open for the 2019 camping season.
- Beach Cleanups on Bodie, Hatteras, and Ocracoke Islands
- Date: Apr 13, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Opening Day of Lighthouse Climbing Season
- Date: Apr 19, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Description: Climb the Bodie Island and Cape Hatteras Lighthouses for free on opening day of the 2019 lighthouse climbing season. Free tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and can only be obtained in person, that day, on site.
- 1st Annual Surf Fishing Heritage Celebration
- Date: November 2
- Location: Fessenden Center, Buxton