Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Seashore) has partnered with Dare County to add lifeguard services at Rodanthe Beach Access, per a recent Seashore press release.
The popular beach location will be staffed with lifeguards seven days a week, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., from July 1 through Aug. 11, 2023.
“Lifeguard beaches are the safest places to swim along the Outer Banks,” said David Hallac, superintendent, National Parks of Eastern North Carolina. “The Seashore is grateful for the new partnership with Dare County to bring lifeguard services to the tri-village area of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo.”
There are now five beach locations staffed with lifeguards this summer. The locations of the five lifeguard beaches are:
- Coquina Beach Access (Bodie Island)
- Located across from the Bodie Island Lighthouse
- Rodanthe Beach Access (Hatteras Island)
- 23731 N.C. Highway 12, Rodanthe
- Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Beach Access (Hatteras Island)
- Adjacent to the old Cape Hatteras Lighthouse site
- Frisco Beach Access (Hatteras Island)
- Located just south of Frisco Village
- Ocracoke Beach Access (Ocracoke Island)
- 5 miles south of the Ocracoke Campground
All five lifeguard beaches are staffed seven days a week from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Other than the Rodanthe Beach Access, which will have lifeguards through Aug. 11 due to the limited availability of certified lifeguards late in the summer season, all Seashore lifeguard beaches provide lifeguard services through Labor Day.