Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Seashore) is preparing a plan for a project to repair the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and surrounding landscape. The public can assist the Seashore in identifying issues, concerns and opportunities to be considered as part of an environmental assessment. The public comment period is 30 days, starting Sept. 17 and ending Oct. 17, 2021.
The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse repair project is necessary because there are deteriorated interior and exterior elements of the lighthouse that need repair or replacement. There are also missing character-defining features and additional modern treatments that have diminished the integrity of the lighthouse. In addition, heavy visitation to the site, combined with limited formal pedestrian walkways has resulted in patches of bare soil and an unclear circulation route along which to visit the site.
Read the public scoping newsletter for a detailed list of issues, and three preliminary alternatives.
As part of the public comment period, the Seashore will host two meetings: one in-person meeting (RSVPs required, see details below) and one virtual meeting. You are invited to attend these meetings to learn more about the project scope, issues, alternatives and ask questions.
Public meeting schedule:
Meeting 1 (in person)
- Sept. 28 from 6-7 p.m.
- Auditorium, Cape Hatteras Secondary School (48576 Highway 12, Buxton, N.C.)
- For everyone’s safety, the following COVID-19 mitigations will be implemented:
- In-person attendance is limited to the first 50 persons. Seating available on first-come, first-served basis. Please RSVP to secure seating by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, provide your first name, last name and how many guests will attend with you.
- Masks must be worn inside the building
- Seating will be six feet apart
Meeting 2 (virtual)
- Sept. 29 from 6-7 p.m.
- Webinar link: https://bit.ly/cape-hatteras-light-station-virtual-meeting
- If you experience issues using the link above, go to https://zoom.us/join and enter Meeting ID: 850 3201 0917 and Participant ID: 743130
- If you prefer to call into meeting, dial 301-715-8592 and use 850 3201 0917 as the Meeting ID
Comments are to be submitted electronically at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/caha_lighthouse, in person at the Sept. 28 meeting via comment card or mailed to Cape Hatteras National Seashore, ATTN: Superintendent, 1401 National Park Dr., Manteo, N.C. 27954. Deadline to submit comments is Oct. 17, 2021.
For additional information on the project and webinar registration, visit: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/caha_lighthouse.