The Dare County Board of Commissioners (BOC) covered a number of Outer Banks-related issues and items of interest at their December 3 meeting in Manteo.
Topics which pertained to the island and / or the local community included the following.
Swearing in Ceremony
Dare County Commissioners Jim Tobin, Rob Ross and Ervin Bateman were sworn into office following the November election. In addition, Cheryl House took the oath of office as she begins her first term serving as the County’s new Register of Deeds.
In Other Items of Interest, The Board of Commissioners:
• Adopted a resolution to call on the N.C. General Assembly to introduce legislation imposing new regulations on e-cigarettes.
• Approved a settlement in the amount of $350,000 from PCL Construction to help recoup losses incurred during the Hatteras Island power outage that occurred in 2017.
• Authorized the County Manager to work with the Town of Manteo in planning a “commons” area on County-owned property in downtown Manteo.
• Scheduled a public hearing for January 7 to receive input on proposed changes to the tethering ordinance to allow more flexibility for enforcement officials.
• Approved sending a letter requesting state funding in the state’s upcoming budget for the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum.
Next Meeting of the Board of Commissioners
Check out the full video from the Commissioners meeting at darenc.com/boc. The next Dare County Board of Commissioners meeting is Monday, January 7 at 9 a.m.