The annual island-wide food drive to stock the shelves of the Hatteras Island Food Pantry in Buxton is currently underway and will run through December 31, 2020, per a recent announcement from the event’s organizers.
Residents and visitors are encouraged to participate in this drive, as contributions of both food and money are needed to help members of the island community get through the winter.
“When considering what to donate, think ‘complete meals,’” stated the update “For example, pair up spaghetti sauce with the pasta, peanut butter with the jelly, non-fat dry milk and sugar with cereal.”
Items in highest demand are tea bags, sugar (small bags), coffee, powdered coffee creamer, cooking oil, pasta sauce (not tomato sauce), canned veggies especially mixed veggies, spinach, collards, peas, creamed corn, carrots, and beets (not green beans), canned fruit (not applesauce), and cereals.
Non-perishable food items should be unopened and not past their “use by” dates.
The following are this year’s collection points where food donations can be dropped off:
- Frisco Market/Rod and Gun in Frisco – (Open daily from 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.)
- Our Lady of the Seas Catholic Parish Social Hall in Buxton – (24-hr. drop-off box on porch of social hall, not the church)
- Outer Beaches Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Waves – (Open daily from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Surf or Sound Realty in Avon – (Open daily from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Midgett Realty in Hatteras, Avon, and Rodanthe – (Open daily from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Sun Realty in Avon and Salvo – (Open daily from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- United Bank – formerly Crescom – in Buxton – (Open daily from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Visitors and residents who do not have time to shop can also make a monetary donation through the Cape Hatteras United Methodist Men. All donations are tax deductible, and 100% goes to assist island residents.
Checks can be written to United Methodist Men and mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Buxton, NC 27920.